Wednesday, July 4, 2018

The Power of "hmmm..".

I recently go into a verbal sparring match with two people that I didn't know.
One was in another country and the other one was on the West Coast and of course; it was on Facebook.

The discussion was brutal at times as I found myself defending my 'whiteness' in terms of white privilege, whites don't understand people of color, etc. I became so enraged at times that I couldn't think straight.

I became defensive quickly defending myself and going on a long history of how I was brought up and how much I suffered and how much I try to understand.

I didn't agree with what they were saying...then it dawned on me even after they told me over and over again; "it's not about your suffering...it's about ours". And they were right.

When people engage us in conversation we immediately put them in one of only two boxes...either we agree or don't agree. And the beauty of it all is that neither one of these two beautiful women were asking me to agree with them.

They just kept saying, "you don't get it." And they were right.

You see; we first have to listen in order to understand another point of view and like so many times; I was too busy preparing my response to what I felt was an attack.
And the reason I felt attacked, was because maybe; just maybe, I knew very well of the struggles  they were talking about.

During the readings that I give, the Universe never asks me to agree or disagree with the information that I'm receiving...just to allow the information to flow through me and trust that when I give the information to people sitting across from me; or on the phone, that it is the right information for their best and highest good.

Sometimes...instead of agreeing or disagreeing; perhaps its' best to just go "hmmm" and soak in what the other person is saying. Pause and reflect and allow and trust.
You'll be the wiser for it.   Hmmm….

                                                                             
                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Code Blue and the Dragonfly

 I spent eight months in the hospital finally getting a heart and kidney transplant in Jan. of 2020. The first 45-60 days I was in and out o...